With over 500 million users and 33 billion tweets a day, Twitter is clearly a ‘must use’ social platform for small businesses. However, not all of us know the best ways to use hashtags (#) on Twitter.
Understanding hashtags is essential to finding success on Twitter. Jason Falls, the CEO of Social Media Explorer shares how to use hashtags the right way in his article, ‘ What You Need to Know About Using Hashtags on Twitter ’.
This article explains the basics and advanced usage of hashtags. Whether you are a beginner or you are using Twitter without knowing the actual usage of hashtag, this article is helpful.
Here are some important facts that I learnt from this article:
- Any word or a set of characters with # symbol as a prefix is a hashtag
- Hashtags can classify tweets
- Hashtags make it easy to find all the conversations on any topic
- Hashtags can be used to follow certain conversations, answer questions, and engage other interested Twitter users
- You can create your own hashtag for your business. Use it frequently in your tweets to popularize it.
- Do not overuse hashtags so that your tweet remains readable for your audience
- You can monitor and track the success of your hashtag using third party applications like Tweetdeck or Hootsuite
- If a lot of tweets contain a certain hashtag, it is highlighted as a trend by Twitter
Also, here is another article that talks about other online apps available to avoid spending a lot of time on Twitter.
Do you have Twitter best practices to share? Send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org .